This delicious vegan version of the classic Korean dish is a nutritious winter warmer for Veganuary. Containing all five of your daily portions of vegetables this dish is bursting with the vitamins A, C & K, the minerals calcium, manganese & copper as well as numerous antioxidants to help keep inflammation in check. The variety of colours on the plate might make it look like a complicated recipe but it really is a simple recipe as you can do much of the prep while the rice is cooking!
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 30-35 minutes
Ingredients (please use organic where possible)
For the bibimbap:
80 grams brown rice
300g firm tofu*
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 courgette, cut into 3 cm batons
½ a small broccoli head, cut into small florets
1 carrots, julienned (I use a mandolin)
¼ small red cabbage, thinly sliced
4 spring onions, cut diagonally
1 tablespoon tamari
For the dressing:
1 teaspoon chilli paste (you can also grind a teaspoon of chili flakes with a tablespoon of water and grind it smooth in a pestle and mortar)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon tamari (you can also use soy sauce but it is not gluten free)
1 tablespoon water
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions. It should take around 25-30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the tofu and pat dry. Cut the tofu into 1cm squares.
- Heat half the coconut oil in a frying pan to medium heat. Add the tofu and cook for 10 minutes, turning regularly. It should be turning nice and golden in colour. Add the tablespoon of tamari and continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- While the tofu is cooking prepare the vegetables.
- Prepare the dressing. Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Once the tofu is cooked, cook the vegetables in the same pan. Be careful not to overcook and to allow them to remain some bite. Add another ½ tablespoon of coconut oil and cook the courgettes first for 3-4 minutes until they start to slightly colour. Remove and set aside. Next add the broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Add the final oil and add the cabbage and cook for 2 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Finally, cook the carrots and cook for 1 minute.
- To serve place the rice in the bottom of warm large bowls. Add the vegetables one at the time on top of the rice. Sprinkle with the spring onions and the dressing.
* Please be conscious when purchasing tofu as 80% of the worlds soybean production comes from Brazil, Argentina and the US. And not only has a significant carbon foot print but also has contributed significantly to deforestation in these countries. We would recommend that you use companies such as Clearspring and Taifun who grow their soybeans in the European Union.