This is one of our favourite post-exercise snacks as it fulfills all our nutritional needs, is super quick to make and tastes delicious! It is just as good when blended prior to a workout, so that it is ready to drink immediately afterwards.
As with all of our Longhaul Ultra Fuels every ingredient in our recovery smoothie has been carefully chosen for the endurance athlete to optimise recovery. Here is how:
- Oats: To restore the depleted muscular glycogen stores
- Coconut Water: To replace lost fluid and electrolytes
- Kefir or Soy Yoghurt: To promote muscular and soft tissue repair and growth
- Beetroot: To dampen post-exercise inflammation
- Berries: To support the immune system
- Cinnamon: To protect against exercise induced oxidative damage and muscular fatigue
We use kefir over conventional yoghurt for our primary protein source, as not only does it have a high level of the amino acid leucine but is also filled with good bacteria. However, please feel free to use normal dairy or soy yoghurt.
If you want to play around with the fruits and spices to create your preferred combination please try and make sure to maintain the 3:1 or 2:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio!
Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: None
Serves 2-3 people
Ingredients (please use organic where possible)20 gram Gluten free oats
80 gram Kefir or vegan soy yoghurt such as Sojade
Half a beetroot grated
3 good handfuls of berry mixture (we use a mix of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries – frozen if you prefer)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Coconut water – enough to make smoothie your preferred consistency (we use ca. 100ml)
- Place all of the ingredients except the coconut water in a blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Add in as much or as little coconut water to create your preferred consistency.
- Enjoy immediately or straight after your workout