Spring has definitely sprung, and we’re loving running, cycling, and hiking in the warmer weather we’ve had in May. Some of the greatest joys of the late spring season are the fresh local vegetables. We tend to eat as much locally produced peas in the pod and asparagus as we can manage during their short season. They give a sense of the imminent summer and provide the body with a great range of nutritional benefits. Asparagus’ high levels of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties protect the body from the potential damage of a hard training session, while peas in the pod are a vital source of B-Vitamins that are essential for energy production.
This recipe combines some of our favourite spring vegetables into a wholesome and incredibly tasty salad. For a vegan version, remove the pecorino and add another 25g hazelnuts for an equally tasty salad.
Serves 2-3 Prep time: 45 min Cook time: 15 min
Ingredients (please use organic if possible):
400g Golden Beetroot
400g peas in the pod
50g shaved hard pecorino
30g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
4 tbsp Olive oil
1 Lemon, zest and juice
Salt and black pepper
- First cook the beetroot. Boil 2 litres of water in a large pan and add the beetroot when boiling. Cook for 30-40 minutes, until the beetroot is tender. Rinse under cold water and set aside to cool. Once cool enough to handle, peel the beetroot using your fingers or a knife.
- Pre-heat the oven to fan 170°C / Gas 4 for roasting the asparagus.
- In a separate medium pan boil water and cook the quinoa for 10-12 minutes or as advised on the packaging. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- To cook the peas in the pod (you can also use frozen peas) bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Rinse under cold water and set aside to cool before shelling.
- Remove the hard stalks from the asparagus, cut diagonally into ca. 4 cm pieces. Place in an ovenproof tray with one tablespoon of olive oil, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and roast for ca. 15-20 minutes. It should be cooked but retain some bite
- In a separate tray, add the roughly chopped hazelnuts to the oven for 5 minutes.
- To make the dressing add 3 tablespoons of oil, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together.
- To assemble the salad cut the beetroot into 2cm squares. Combine with the quinoa, asparagus and peas in a large bowl. Add the dressing, and season to taste. Finish the salad off by adding pecorino shavings and the roasted hazelnuts.