For an ideal recovery it is important to replenish the depleted muscular energy, glycogen, as effectively as possible. These coconut and date recovery balls are simply the perfect immediate post exercise snack to do just that, as they contain rice and dates, both simple and fast releasing carbohydrates and sea salt ideal to replace lost electrolytes.
Prep: 5 mins Cooking time: 35 mins.
Makes: 5-6 balls
Ingredients (please use organic where possible):
60g sushi rice
240 ml coconut milk
4-5 dates, pitted and cut into small pieces
4 tbls water
Pinch of sea salt
1. Cook the coconut rice: Place the rice in a small pan with the coconut milk. Cover and bring to the boil. Then turn down to minimum heat and cook for 18-20 minutes (or as instructed on the pack). Rest for 10 mins.
2. Stew the dates: Place the chopped dates in a pan with the water and salt. Bring to a boil and return heat to very low. Simmer for ca 5 mins until soft and compote like in texture
3. Prepare a bowl of water to keep your hands wet while making the balls.
4. To make the stuffed rice balls take ca. 1 ½ tablespoon of the rice and form into a ball. Create a whole in the middle and fill with ca. 1 teaspoon of the date mixture. Fold the ball over the mixture so it is covered. Repeat until you’re out of rice
5. Wrap in clingfilm or in a Tupperware for when you’re ready to eat them